Viticultural Observatory - reference plots
ADVID has been collecting viticultural, climatic and biological information since 2014, in order to support decision-making by economic agents in the sector (farm managers and others). The observatory consists of 21 plots, strategically located in each of the three sub-regions of the DDR, namely 5 in Baixo Corgo, 10 in Cima Corgo and 6 in Douro Superior.
The objectives of this Viticultural Observatory are:
- To contribute to the improvement of production forecasting models at regional and plot level, in collaboration with the FCUP;
- Monitoring the evolution of the basic water potential to evaluate the effect of different water regimes on the productive and qualitative parameters of the vine;
- Monitoring the evolution of grape maturation to characterise the behaviour in the three viticultural zones and also characterising (sugar, acids and phenolic compounds) the varieties Touriga Nacional and Touriga Franca throughout maturation. Monitoring of the wines resulting from the vinification of the grapes from the reference plots and their inclusion in the annual harvest tastings;
- Development of prediction models for diseases. The aim is to validate, for the conditions of the DDR, a model for predicting the development of downy and powdery mildew in grapes, developed by the University of Sacro Cuore (Piacenza, Italy) in partnership with Horta srl. (a spin-off of this university);
- Monitoring of Golden Flavescence and its insect vector (collaboration with DRAPN in the National Action Plan to combat National Grapevine Flavescence);
- Evaluation of the performance of grape varieties and rootstocks, through the analysis of data collected in different studies of grape variety x rootstock affinity, processing and publication of the history of existing references, in collaboration with Symington Vinhos SA;
- Production and compilation of support material for the viticulture activity and promotion of the application.
The activities carried out within the scope of the Viticultural Observatory have the collaboration of technicians from the associate companies where the plots are located.